Make sure you have some low-fat treats on hand before you begin training. The “lie down” command, for some reason, is a bit harder than other common dog commands.
- Have your pup’s favorite low-cal treat in hand, and get his/her attention.
- Put the treat in front of his or her nose.
- First, speak your dog’s name; then firmly and clearly, say the word down.
- Then, move the treat slowly towards the floor/ground.
- When your dog’s hocks and elbows hit the ground, say to him/her, “good down” in a positive happy manner.
- Lastly, award your dog a treat, followed by much praising and petting.
- Repeat all steps around 5 or 6 times.
- Do not push your dog down in attempt to get him to obey. Instead, when he does lie down naturally, say the “down” command to him, followed by rewarding and praising.
- Hold short training sessions at various times during the day, outside and inside.
- Once your dog has leaned the command, it is not necessary to give him a treat every time he performs it. However, you can never give him too much praise, so indeed love him up big time when he performs well.